If you happen to take a look down between your legs, what you see might be what you are always accustomed to seeing down there. But sometimes you are in for a surprise. Some women get rather alarmed when they look down and see a color change in the area around their vagina. If you are wondering ‘why is my vagina dark?’ you’re not alone. Here are some reasons why your vagina might be changing color.
Is Dark Vagina Normal?
As you already know, all women are unique, and this includes the color of the skin around their vagina. While one woman might ask ‘why is my vagina dark?’ another might be wondering if the color is too light. The truth is that there is no color that is appropriate for the vagina – whatever color you are accustomed to seeing is perfectly normal. In fact, most women find that the color of the skin around their vagina is darker than the skin on the rest of their body. That means that the area around your vagina might be anything from a very light pink to a very dark brown or even a purple color.
This variation in colors is perfectly normal. However, if you start to suffer from strange symptoms, then a change in color might beconcerned. For instance, if you are itching down there and you suddenly notice a redder color, you might be dealing with a rash. Vaginal infections can also cause changes in pigmentation. This is when you need to get to the doctor as soon as possible.
Why Is My Vagina Dark?
But what if your vagina is dark when you get sexually aroused? This, too, is normal. Your vagina might become darker when you are having sex or sexually aroused, thanks to the copious blood flow that goes to that area when you are ready to have sex. The vaginal tissue swells and becomes lubricated, and the color of the clitoris and inner lips gets darker. This is perfectly normal and might be even fascinating to you if you watch it with a mirror! It’s all very normal and very individual to you and your own arousal.
Still wondering ‘why is my vagina dark’ because it has been changing over time? That’s normal, too. As our bodies age, we change quite a bit everywhere. Other issues might lead to darkening of the skin, but remember that many of these conditions are, again, normal. Here’s what might lead to it:
- You’re getting older
- You are using products that gradually change the color, such as talcum powder
- Your hormones are out of balance
- You are deficient in certain vitamins
- You are simply prone to color changes due to heredity
- You have gained weight
- You have been shaving the vaginal area on a regular basis
- You have started using a new hygiene product
- You have been wearing too-tight clothing
- You might also have a more serious underling problem, such as polycystic ovarian syndrome, gastric cancer, hypothyroidism, infections, excess production of melanin, and other physical disorders.
How to Lighten My Vagina Skin
Even though the answer to ‘why is my vagina dark’ is usually a perfectly normal explanation, there are some women who still want to see lighter skin down there. If that’s the case with you, these home remedies might be worth a try.
- Always wear cotton undergarments.
- Maintain a healthy body weight.
- Drink six to eight glasses of water every day, and load up on fresh fruits.
- Avoid talcum powder and hair removal creams on the vaginal area.
- Exfoliate regularly with a mixture of oatmeal and unsweetened yogurt.
- Make a paste of unsweetened yogurt and dried orange peels; this promotes fairer skin.
- On the groin area, you can use yogurt mixed with lime juice. Apply it for 20 minutes, and then wash it off. Do this once a day.
- You can also use freshly squeezed lemon juice on the area.
- Gram flour that has been mixed with milk to form a paste is a good lightener. Add a touch of lemon juice to it to get it to the right consistency, and use it for 20 minutes before rinsing it away.
- Try a mint leaf paste. Simply crush up the leaves, mix them with lemon juice, and leave them on the groin area for 15 minutes or so, then rinse them away.
- A few slices of fresh potato against the skin can lighten it and reduce inflammation as well.
- Rub papaya or tomatoes on the area, and let them rest there for a bit, then rinse.
- The calamansi fruit is high in the properties that lead to skin whitening. Use as mentioned above, but use it straight, without blending it with anything else.
Warning: Be patient: It takes a great deal of time for lightening to occur.
When Should I Go to See the Doctor?
If none of these answers reassure you about ‘why is my vagina dark?’ then it might be time to visit the doctor. If you notice that the discoloration is also in your underarms or the fold of your neck, you might have acanthosis nigricans, a skin condition that can indicate problems with your internal organs. You might also have an infection if you notice any unusual discharge, itching, or a fever. In these cases, it’s time to go to the doctor and figure out what is going on to make your vagina dark.