Cottage cheese is loaded with protein but contains fewer carbs. You can make it a part of your diet and enjoy several health benefits. However, you need to know that cottage cheese is high in fat, so you have to eat in moderation. The good thing is that low-fat versions are now also available. Still, many people are concerned about its fat content and often ask if it is okay to have it before bed. Keep reading to find out more.
Can You Eat Cottage Cheese Before Bed?
Yes, you can have it before bed. Most cheese products are never considered diet foods, but cottage cheese is different and has been an important part of many health conscious diets. You may even benefit from it if you are a strength-training athlete or a bodybuilder. Still, it is a good idea to consider your overall calorie intake as well when eating cottage cheese before going to sleep.
Why Is It Good to Have Cottage Cheese Before Bed?
Eating cottage cheese is a common practice in the world of bodybuilding, but regular dieters can also get amazing benefits by eating cottage cheese properly.
1. Weight Loss
Even though it contains loads of fat, it can still help you lose weight. Here is how cottage cheese helps reduce weight:
- It makes you full faster. This really helps you eat less. It also reduces your appetite mainly due the presence of a protein called casein. Your body takes a lot of time to digest casein, and as it is more filling than other types of protein, keeping hunger pangs at bay.
- It helps you lose fat faster. Cottage cheese contains loads of calcium and protein and can help you lose fat faster. Studies show that three servings of cottage cheese daily helps reduce body fats to a great extent. You can get even better results when you also reduce your calorie intake. Cottage cheese also contains the amino acids called leucine which promotes fat loss and muscle gain.
- It boosts metabolism that in turn help you burn more calories and lose weight more effectively. It mainly happens because of casein protein in cottage cheese. Eating cottage cheese before bed triggers your metabolism and helps you burn calories even when you are sleeping.
2. Preventing Diseases
Eating cottage cheese regularly may help you prevent and fight many diseases. For instance:
- It lowers your risk of breast cancer. Cottage cheese is a rich source of vitamin D and calcium both of which help reduce your risk of breast cancer. This can be even more beneficial for premenopausal women who have their calcium levels depleting quickly.
- It contains loads of magnesium that keeps you healthy in many ways. It works as a catalyst and promotes biochemical reactions required for better health. Magnesium also helps maintain nerve and muscle functioning and supports your immune system. It activates various enzymes in your body and regulates blood sugar levels. It also helps prevent constipation, heart attacks, migraine, psychiatric disorders and collagen.
- It helps controls anxiety and prevents strokes. The presence of potassium in cottage cheese makes it a healthy food choice for your cardiovascular health. Potassium helps regulate blood pressure and prevents strokes. It is also an important component in the neural activities of the brain and muscle. It prevents muscle cramps and also helps reduce stress levels and anxiety.
3. Other Benefits
In addition, there are many other benefits associated with the consumption of cottage cheese on a regular basis. For instance:
- It helps you build muscles by increasing your growth hormone levels. Its low carbs content and high protein content make it effective. It also contains calcium that stimulates testosterone production and increase muscle mass.
- It helps you sleep better. This benefit comes from an amino acid called tryptophan which is found aplenty in cottage cheese. It helps you have a sound sleep and also prevents depression, insomnia and anxiety.
- It is extremely beneficial for pregnant women. It contains several essential nutrients and is loaded with calcium that women need during pregnancy. It also provides you with phosphorus which is another important element found in your bones.
Notes for Consuming Cottage Cheese
- It is true that you can get many health benefits by eating cottage cheese before bed, but like everything else, there are certain considerations as well. While it contains several essential nutrients, it is also high in sodium and cholesterol.
- If you opt for commercially made cottage cheese, the chances are it contains loads of sodium. Eating so much sodium regularly may have detrimental effects on your heart and kidneys. You need to limit your sodium intake to keep your blood pressure in check.
- You should pay special attention to what type of cottage cheese you are buying. Make conscious effort to buy low-fat cottage cheese to avoid dealing with any side effects.