Fitbit activity trackers are quickly growing into one of the most in demand products globally. The wireless-enabled wearable technology devices help users monitor and measure their daily activities. Fitbit devices record data on the number of steps walked, steps climbed, quality of sleep and other personal metrics. All this data is uploaded to the Fitbit website where you can access. There are times when your Fitbit won’t sync with the website. When this happens, you need to troubleshoot it to get back to normal service. Read on to find out how.
My Fitbit Won’t Sync—Why?
Your Fitbit is supposed to sync automatically with your computer or compatible mobile device every 15 minutes as long as there is new data to upload, your computer or device is powered on and connected to the internet, the wireless sync dongle that comes with the device is inserted into a USB port, you’ve installed and are running Fitbit Connect, and the device is within 20 feet of your mobile device or computer.
If all the above conditions have been met and your Fitbit won’t sync, do the following:
1. Check That Your Fitbit Device Is Paired With Your Fitbit Account
To determine if this is the reason why Fitbit won’t sync, log into your Fitbit.com account and locate the gear icon at the top right hand side of your screen. You should see an icon on this menu. If it’s not there, then no tracker is paired with your account. Consequently, you will need to set up your Fitbit tracker on a computer. Here’s how:
I. Go to the Fitbit setup page and click on the pink download button.
II. This will download Fitbit Connect for you operating system (PC or Mac).
III. Install Fitbit Connect by following the instructions as prompted.
IV. Launch Fitbit Connect and set up a new device on the main menu.
V. You’ll be required to choose whether you are a new user or you already have an account.
VI. Enter your personal details as required.
VII. Select the Fitbit device you are setting up when prompted.
VIII. Plug the USB dongle that came with your tracker into your computer and start the pairing process.
IX. Follow the instructions displayed on the screen. Confirm that Fitbit Connect has identified the tracker depending on the type of Fitbit you’re using.
X. Click Next and your Fitbit will connect to your online account.
XI. You might be required to enter a greeting with a maximum of 8 characters.
2. Make Sure Fitbit Connect Recognizes Your Device
Sometimes, your Fitbit won’t sync because the wireless dongle has not been recognized by Fitbit Connect. Do the following to rectify this issue:
I. Find out whether the dongle is connected. On a PC. Go system tray where “USB Dongle Connected” should be displayed. On a Mac, check the menu bar for the Fitbit Connect icon. “USB Dongle Connected” should be displayed on the drop-down menu.
II. You can also check whether the dongle is connected on the Fitbit Connect main menu. It the dongle is disconnected, you should make sure that it’s properly connected or insert it into a different USB port or computer.
3. Sync Your Fitbit Tracker By Force
I. Bring the Fitbit tracker close to the plugged in dongle. Make sure the tracker’s battery has charge.
II. Open Fitbit Connect’s main menu and click Sync Now.
III. You might have to sign into your account for the tracker to start syncing.
4. Restart the Fitbit Tracker
If Fitbit won’t sync after trying all the above, you might want to restart it. Try syncing after it has restarted.
5. Reinstall Fitbit Connect
There are times when Fitbit won’t sync because Fitbit Connect has issues. You can download and reinstall Fitbit Connect, then try to sync. The installation process is detailed above.
If Fitbit won’t sync after taking all the above measures, get in touch with customer support.
Additional Help for Fitbit Use
- Why won’t my Ultra tracker sync to my computer?
Your Ultra tracker may not sync for various reasons. If it is not syncing, do the following:
- Unplug the base station and reboot your computer.
- Plug it back in, put your Fitbit tracker in it and wait for about 15 minutes.
- If it still has not synced, uninstall the Fitbit tracker software.
- Download the lasts version of the Fitbit tracker software here.
- Once the download is complete, open the software and log in with your Fitbit account details.
- Follow the onscreen prompts to complete the setup.
If you’re using a Mac, you might see the Fitbit icon bouncing in the dock. You should force quit the Fitbit tracker software, and then reboot it. If you’re using PC, plug the base station into any USB port on your PC. Locate the Fitbit icon on your system tray. If it is gray and teal, then the base station is working.
- Why Won’t Tracker Sync With iOS/Android/Windows Phone App?
To troubleshoot this issue, start by verifying the following:
- Is the device you’re attempting to sync supported? Check the list of supported devices here.
- Update to the latest iOS/Windows/Android version.
- Check that Bluetooth is enabled
- Check that your device is not managing several Bluetooth connections simultaneously.
If the tracker still won’t sync, do the following:
- Check whether it is syncing with any other iOS/Android/Windows Phone device.
- Turn your Bluetooth On and then OFF.
- Force quit the Fitbit tracker app, then open it.
- Restart your iOS device and then open the Fitbit app.
- Restart your Fitbit tracker.
If your Fitbit won’t sync even after doing all the above, you can get in touch with customer support.