Your pH value shows the levels of alkalinity and acidity in the body. It is important to ensure that your body has a slightly alkaline blood level – it should preferably be in the pH range of 7.35-7.45. A value under 7.35 indicates that your blood is acidic, which increases your risk of becoming ill. Eating acid-producing foods will make the matters worse and even make your body to get potassium, sodium, calcium, and other minerals from your bones to maintain a balance. Knowing how to get rid of too much acid in your body will help you keep healthy. Come find out the steps you can take in this regard.
How to Make Your Body Less Acidic
There are a number of ways to help make your body less acidic. You can change what you eat or make some lifestyle changes to get positive results.
1. Limit Certain Foods
You need to take steps to reduce your stress level. What you eat will have an impact on your stress level. Limit your intake of meats, white flour, refined sugar, and dairy.
Also, limit your intake of acid-producing foods and alcoholic beverages. The 30% of your diet can come from acidic food, such as carbs and meat. Avoiding sourdough, tortillas, whole grains, white bread, and brown rice will help as well.
2. Make Lifestyle Changes
Similarly, you need to live an active lifestyle to reduce acidity in the body. Be sure to exercise for at least half an hour 3-5 times a week. This will increase blood circulation, improve your cardiovascular health, and help counteract acidity in your body. By breaking a sweat, you help get acid out of your body.
3. Increase Intake of Alkalizing Food
In order to learn how to make your body less acidic, you need to know more about alkalizing foods that you can include in your diet. Include at least 70% alkaline foods in your diet.
- Veggies: Different vegetables help reduce the amount of acid in the body. Vegetables with a rather bitter taste are the ones with alkaline substances. Some of the best choices are parsley, spinach, garlic, celery, and barley grass. You can also opt for zucchini, lettuce, beets, and carob, which are moderately alkaline veggies. Other options include asparagus, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, mustard greens, collard, dandelions, pepper, rutabaga, and peas.
- Fruits: Some fruits like lemons, oranges, and other citrus fruits are acidic in nature, but they can still help make your body less acidic by stimulating the production of alkaline chemicals. Peaches, pineapples, cherries, avocados, apples, and pears are some other beneficial fruits that help neutralize acid in your body. You can also add bananas, cantaloupe, honeydew, and watermelon in your diet for good effects.
- Proteins: You need protein to make your body less acidic, but meats are the best sources of proteins. Since meats can increase acidity, you need to look for other proteins sources such as squash seeds, pumpkin seeds, nuts, and flaxseeds. Eggs, fermented soy, yogurt, whey protein, and millet are other nice sources of protein.
- Spices: Including spices in your diet will help neutralize excess acid. Some nice choices include cinnamon, curry, ginger, mustard, and miso. You can also use spices for seasonings to increase alkalizing effect of what you eat.
4. Opt for Natural Energy-Boosting Drinks
To help make your body less acidic, you should eliminate caffeine- and sugar-laden energy drinks from your diet. You can always opt for alkalizing energy drinks such as lemon water, peppermint tea, or yerba mate tea. You can also opt for a green powder supplement to stimulate metabolism and improve your digestive system.
Increasing your intake of alkaline water will also help. What you should bear in mind is that your regular tap water usually has a pH of 6.5 or less, but alkaline water has a pH of 9, which makes it extremely beneficial for your body.
How to Test Your pH
Knowing how to make your body less acidic is important but many people just do not realize if they really need to take steps to reduce acidity in the body. Fortunately, you do not need to go through a lot of hassle to test your pH level. Just go to your local drugstore and get a pack of pH test strips.
You can use these strips to check your pH levels anytime throughout the day. The best thing is to test your pH levels the same time every day, preferably in the morning because that is when your body is more acidic. Your goal should be to have your urine pH around 6.5-7.5.
You can also use the strips to check your pH level through your saliva. Do not test immediately after eating. Wait for a couple of hours after eating. Before you test, be sure to fill your mouth with saliva and then swallow it. Repeat it a couple of times to ensure that your saliva is clean. Then, spit on the pH strip to know how acidic your body is.