The young grass of the wheat plant (Triticum aestivum) is known as wheatgrass. This plant is able to grow either indoors or outdoors, and is normally found in temperate regions. It’s possible to grow your own wheatgrass. Simply soak wheat seeds in water, then as the plant grows, harvest the wheatgrass leaves. Lots of people believe that wheatgrass has many health benefits such as vitamins and minerals, plus wholesome chlorophyll and plant enzymes. However, experts believe that the real goodness within wheatgrass is due to maltoheptaose oligosaccharides – natural fibers found in the plant.
How to Make Wheatgrass Juice
Use a Blender
- Gather the green wheatgrass leaves by cutting the stems immediately above the white section at the bottom. Give the leaves a good wash under water.
- Using a kitchen blender, mix all the grass with 1-2 tablespoons of water, and then pulse the mixture.
- Alternatively, if you have a wheatgrass juicer, place the grass inside green side down and switch the juicer on. The wheatgrass pulp will leave the machine through one side and the filtered juice on the other side.
- Now you want to create a thick dry pulp. Do this by pressing the wheatgrass pulp with a tea strainer or a sieve. Next, place the pulp in the blender again together with 2 tablespoons of water. Blend one more time.
- You can now get rid of the pulp and use the juice. Simply strain the juice and there you go – that’s how to make wheatgrass juice.
For more about making wheatgrass juice using a blender, see the following video:
Use a Mortar and Pestle
- Fill the bottom of the mortar with wheatgrass, but with the mortar not more than a quarter full, as this will make it difficult to grind the wheatgrass.
- Pummel the wheatgrass blades thoroughly with the pestle until they start to stick to each other and smear along the mortar base. Use a stirring motion with the pestle, with plenty of force. This needs a few minutes and lots of energy.
- Add a bit of water to the mix – equal parts water is best. Mash the crushed wheatgrass and water together as you did in step two. You should end up with a fine paste.
- Place the paste into a clean muslin cloth. To prevent the paste leaking out, twist the top of the cloth, but don’t tie it.
- Drain the juice into a clean glass by squeezing the cloth in a downward motion immediately above the paste. You should see a bright green liquid emerging from the cloth. Keep squeezing until you can’t get any more liquid.
- Put the remaining wheatgrass clump back in the mortar. Start grinding again until the wheatgrass blades become white-colored. You’ll need to add some water to make sure the paste is the same consistency each time.
- When your first bunch of blades has turned white, add some fresh wheatgrass to the mortar and grind again. Carry on until you’ve used a complete half-cup of wheatgrass. For half a cup of wheatgrass juice, you’ll need to grind for at least 10 minutes.
Wheatgrass Juice Recipes
After knowing how to make wheatgrass juice, you can mix it with other ingredients to find your favorite one. Here are some recipes you can try.
1. Wheatgrass Green Pineapple Smoothie
- ½ shot wheatgrass juice
- 4 oz filtered water
- ½ cup pineapple
- ½ peach
- ½ cup green grapes
Add all the ingredients to a blender or smoothie machine, with 3-4 ice cubes. Alternatively, make a simple pineapple drink by adding 2 oz wheatgrass to ¼ pineapple (or a few rings).
2. Pear-Wheatgrass Smoothie
- ½ shot wheatgrass
- 2 medium pears
- 4 oz filtered water
Place the ingredients in a blender with 3-4 ice cubes and you’re done.
3. Apple Wheatgrass Shot
- 3 oz wheatgrass juice
- 1 apple
- A sprig of mint
Mix together all the ingredients in a blender. For extra vitamins, try adding a few spinach leaves or a celery stalk, and for spice, mix in some ginger. For a variation on this recipe, add 2-3 carrots for a tasty apple, carrot, and wheatgrass juice.
4. Fruit Wheatgrass Smoothie
- 1 oz wheatgrass juice
- 1 frozen strawberry
- 1/8 cup frozen or fresh pineapple
- ¼ frozen banana
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup natural yoghurt
Put all the ingredients in a blender or smoothie machine, add ice cubes according to the blender’s instructions, and pulse.
5. Green Orange Juice
- 2 oz wheatgrass juice
- 3 oranges’ worth of juice
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
Mix the juices, add the ginger, and serve the drink with mint leaves.
Wheatgrass Nutrition & Healthy Benefits
You want to know how to make wheatgrass juice because of its benefits. Wheatgrass is naturally rich in many vitamins and antioxidants, such as:
- The antioxidant vitamins A, C, and E
- Thiamin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, and niacin, the B-group vitamins
- The minerals iron, magnesium, zinc, and manganese
However, despite these nutrients, a single wheatgrass shot will not constitute one of the five portions of fruit and vegetables you need each day.
- Wheatgrass is thought to increase the synthesis of hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying molecule in red blood cells. This helps with blood sugar conditions such as diabetes, and is said to aid wound healing, prevent bacterial infections, and ward-off tooth decay.
- Wheatgrass is thought to assist in the elimination of heavy metals, and carcinogens from the liver and blood, and out of the body.
- Various urinary tract disorders may be treated using wheatgrass. These include prostate, bladder, and urethra infections, kidney stones, and benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH). Wheatgrass can also be used in irrigation therapy, as together with plenty of water, it acts as a mild diuretic to boost urine flow.