Gum recession occurs when the gum tissue margin around the teeth either pulls back or wears away. This exposes the tooth and its root, and creates gaps between the gum line and teeth. Bacteria can grow in these gaps. Gum recession can cause damage to bone structures of the teeth and support tissue if not treated. In this article, you will learn how to fix receding gums to avoid tooth loss.
Why Do Gums Recede?
The treatment of receding gums depends on the underlying cause. The common causes of this condition include:
- Flossing or brushing aggressively: Scrubbing instead of brushing your teeth will hurt your gums. Always use a soft toothbrush and brush your teeth gently.
- Genetic inheritance: Your genetics determine the characteristics of your gums. You are likely to suffer from receding gums if your parents have the same condition.
- Abnormal tooth alignment: You can suffer from receding gums if your teeth are not aligned properly.
- Bruxism or teeth grinding: Grinding your teeth will lead to dental maladies and receding gums. This habit requires medical attention and can be treated using a mouth guard, which is usually painless.
- Traumatic injuries on a tooth or gum tissue may cause receding gums.
- Poor oral habits: Poor oral health will lead to periodontitis, which in turn leads to receding gums.
How to Fix Receding Gums
Some of the home remedies that you can use to treat receding gums include:
1. Green Tea
Green tea is rich in antioxidants and is used to treat and prevent many diseases. Green tea reduces the damage that receding gums cause on teeth. In addition, it helps to relieve inflamed gums and kills any bacteria that could lead to periodontal problems.
How: Take one cup of green tea every morning for healthy teeth and gums.
2. Sesame Oil
Another answer to how to fix receding gums is sesame oil. This essential oil is used as a mouthwash to remove plaque and toxic substances in the gums that lead to receding gums. In addition, it can also help to prevent further recession and tooth decay.
How: Use a quarter cup of warm sesame oil to swish your mouth.
3. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has antimicrobial properties and protects your teeth from bacteria and germs that cause diseases. It prevents germs and food particles from sticking in between your teeth, which could lead to decay.
How: Use virgin coconut oil to swish your mouth after brushing every day to treat receding gums and their underlying cause.
4. Tea Tree Oil
This essential oil prevents root damage and gum recession. The oil has antimicrobial and antifungal properties that destroy bacteria. It prevents plaque buildup in between your teeth.
How: Dilute tea tree oil and use it to swish your mouth. Undiluted tea tree oil will cause burns.
Eucalyptus oil kills germs and prevents oral diseases that cause gum recession. It has anti-inflammatory properties and hence can relieve swollen gums.
How: To use this remedy, mix one or two drops of eucalyptus with one or two tablespoons of water. Dip your toothbrush or fingers into this mixture and then use it to massage your gums gently.Rinse your mouth with water thoroughly.
Note: Undiluted eucalyptus oil will burn gum tissue.
Myrrh cures receding gums and protects them from further damage. It cures several gum and mouth diseases as well.
How: To prepare this remedy, mix myrrh in powder form with water until it forms a paste-like consistency. Use this paste to massage your gums for a few minutes. You can also use your toothbrush to apply the paste of your gums.
7. Clove Oil
Clove oil has disinfectant and antibacterial properties that protect your mouth from germs. Its anti-inflammatory properties reduce gum swelling.
How: Chewing a clove after a meal removes bad breath and treats any oral disease. Alternatively, you can use one or two drops of clove oil to massage your gums for a few minutes. Use the remedy 1-3 times in a day. Consult your doctor if you are on blood clotting medication.
8. Vitamin C
An alternative solution of how to fix receding gums is vitamin C. This vitamin boosts your immunity and has antioxidant properties.
How: Use the calcium ascorbate form of vitamin C to cure receding gums, which is available in powder form. Apply the powder on your gums and then rinse. Vitamin C supplements are also effective in curing receding gums.
Or you may try Oil Pulling to fix your receding gums.
Medical Treatments to Fix Receding Gums
If you have a mild gum recession, your dentist can treat it by deep cleaning your gum. Deep cleaning is also referred to as root planning or tooth scaling. During this process, the doctor removes all the tartar and plaque buildup on the teeth and its roots. The doctor may prescribe antibiotics in case bacteria remains after cleaning. Oral surgery may be used to treat receded gums in case of excess bone loss and if the pockets are very deep. Such cases cannot be treated through deep cleaning.
Antibiotics are prescribed in case the gums have an infection. The doctor may prescribe the following medication to treat the underlying conditions that is causing gun recession:
- Enzyme suppressants
- Antiseptic chips
- Topical antibiotic gel
- Anti-microbial mouthwash
How to Prevent Receding Gums
Prevention is always better than treatment. The best ways to prevent receding gums include:
- Routine dental cleanings: These regular cleanings will prevent diseases and recession caused by bacterial and tartar buildup. Schedule one to two dental cleanings every year as brushing your teeth twice a day does not remove all the bacteria. Hygienists and dentists will use special instruments to remove these bacteria.
- Orthodontic treatment: Proactive orthodontic treatment helps in correcting misaligned teeth before they cause receding gums. This treatment should be done slowly and carefully because rapid tooth movement leads to recession. You can clean aligned teeth easily and prevent gum recession and cavities. In general, orthodontic treatment takes 12-24 months.
- Night guards or bite splints: Excess clenching, grinding and bruxism causes the enamel to chip, which leads to gum recession. Bite splints are an effective solution of how to fix receding gums. They reduce the strain on your teeth. You can wear bite splints during the day or at night depending on the stress levels.
- Using a soft toothbrush: Use a toothbrush with soft bristles to brush your gums gently twice a day. This will keep your gums healthy. Aggressive brushing makes gum recession worse.
- Stop smoking tobacco: Breaking the habit of using tobacco will keep your gum tissue healthy. You will reduce gum irritation and improve circulation, which tightens your gums at the root.